Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Book List


Okay y'all I must be stir crazy to be doing this.

Yesterday I received a list of 100 books from a friend. My instructions were to highlight the ones I've read then pass it on. As I read I couldn't help but notice that although the books listed are wonderful reads and ones I've enjoyed over the years, few titles presented spoke to my life experiences. 

Soooo, off the top of my head I began to compile a list of books I've enjoyed and found memorable. If you're so led, highlight those you may have read, add some of your own and pass the list on.

1.   A Raisin in the Sun - Lorraine Hansberry
2.   Jubilee – Margaret Walker
3.   The Color Purple - Alice Walker  
4.   The Wedding - Dorothy West
5.   Go Tell It On the Mountain - Richard Wright
6.   The Known World - Edward P. Jones
7.   Wench - Dolan Perkins-Valdez
8.   Beloved - Toni Morrison
9.   Slavery by Another Name:
     The Re-enslavement of African Americans from the Civil War to World War II
Douglas A. Blackmon
10.  The Shipping News - E. Annie Proulx
11.  Known to Evil - Walter Mosley
12.  The Emperor of Ocean Park - Stephen Carter
13.  Roots - Alex Haley
14.  The Autobiography of Malcolm X - As told by Alex Haley
15.  Those Bones Are Not My Child - Toni Cade Bambara
16.  Business Unusual – Linda F. Beed
17.  Linden Hills - Gloria Naylor
18.  The Making of Isaac Hunt – Linda Leigh Hargrove
19.  Abrahams Well - Sharon Ewell Foster
20.  Unsigned Hype - Booker T. Mattison
21.  Their Eyes are Watching God - Zora Neal Hurston
22.  I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
23.  Budd Not Buddy Christopher - Paul Curtis
24.  The People Could Fly - Virginia Hamilton
25.  My Jim - Nancy Rawles
26.  Home Again: Stories of Restored Relationships –
      Wanda B. Campbell, Maurice M. Gray, Jr., Linda F. Beed, Shenette Jones, Tyora Moody,
      Trinea Moss, Bernard Boulton, Tavares Carney, Dijorn Moss
27.  Don’t Blame the Devil – Pat G’Orge-Walker
28. Keeper of Secrets: Translations of an Incident - Anjuelle Floyd
29. Breath, Eyes, Memories – Edwidge Danticat
30. Redemption Song - Bertice Berry
31. Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Sun - J. California Cooper
32. Till You Hear From Me - Pearl Cleage
33. What I Know for Sure: My Growing Up In America - Tavis Smiley
34. The Classic Slave Narratives - Henry Louis Gates
35.  So Long A Letter – Miriama Ba
36.  The Bondswoman - Narrative Hannah Crafts
37. The Journal of Charlotte L. Forten - Charlotte L. Forten and Ray Allen Billington
38. The Audacity of Hope - President Barak Obama
39. Porch Stories - Jewell Parker-Rhodes
40. Ancestor Stones - Aminatta Forna
41. For the Children: Lessons from a Visionary Principle - Madeline Cartwright
42. Simply Divine Teen Series - Jacqueline Thomas
43. Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters – John Steptoe
44. The Hundred Penny Box – Sharon Bell Mathis
45. The Measure of a Man – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
46. 72 Hour Hold - Bebe Moore Campbell
47.  A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest Gaines
48.  Sugar – Bernice McFadden
49.  Douglass’ Women – Jewell Parker-Rhodes
50.  The Warmth of Other Suns – Isabella Wilkerson

3 comments:

  1. Wow I've read some of this in high school and such and some I'm reading now but I have to add this list to my own collection to make sure I read this year in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Adrienna. I hope you find some reads on this list that become life-long friends.

    Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. A Raisin in the Sun - Lorraine Hansberry - >>I read this book a long time ago. It was good. I recall that it's a play.
    2. Jubilee – Margaret Walker
    >>>Yep, I read this one, too. Enjoyed it.
    3. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
    >>>Yes, I think I was about 18 or 19 when I read this one. Good book. Definitely a classic.
    5. Go Tell It On the Mountain - Richard Wright
    >>>Read this one when I was in high school.
    8. Beloved - Toni Morrison
    >>>I read this one, too.
    13. Roots - Alex Haley
    >>>I'VE NEVER READ ROOTS!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???
    14. The Autobiography of Malcolm X - As told by Alex Haley
    >>>I believe I've read this.
    18. The Making of Isaac Hunt – Linda Leigh Hargrove
    >>>Yep, read this one.
    21. Their Eyes are Watching God - Zora Neal Hurston
    >>>Yep, read this one for a library book club.
    26. Home Again: Stories of Restored Relationships –
    Wanda B. Campbell, Maurice M. Gray, Jr., Linda F. Beed, Shenette Jones, Tyora Moody,
    Trinea Moss, Bernard Boulton, Tavares Carney, Dijorn Moss
    >>>I've read some of these stories, not all of them. Linda, your story was the best I've read so far in this book. Wanda Campbell's was second best of what I've read so far.
    Linda, your story reminds me of Frank Peretti's work. Did you read Piercing The Darkness and This Present Darkness? Your story reminded me of those two books.
    42. Simply Divine Teen Series - Jacqueline Thomas
    >>>I read the first book in this series.
    46. 72 Hour Hold - Bebe Moore Campbell
    >>>I've never read this book, but I've read several other stories by the late Bebe Moore Campbell. I even met her once at an author brunch.

    ReplyDelete